Dr. Eryn Stansfield and Vinny Russo were kind enough to invite me onto their podcast, The Balanced Bodies Blueprint, to dig into Functional Medicine and Integrative Medicine. If you really want to understand why these nonsensical fields are nonsensical, then you won’t want to miss this episode! Use one of these links to listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or YouTube. Don’t get too excited about the YouTube link; my made-for-radio face does not appear there.
We talk about:
- Why my early experiences with Alt Med led me to start the blog
- What advocates claim Functional Medicine and Integrative Medicine are about, and what these fields are actually about
- How FM and IM differ from conventional medicine in practice, accreditation, board certification, clinical practice guidelines, and continuing medical education
- Downsides of seeing a FM provider
- Why patients seek out Alt Med, and how mainstream docs are partly at fault
- What I tell patients who are disheartened by conventional medicine
- Why the nutrition/health coaching world is besieged by FM dogma
- And more!
You should definitely check out Dr. Eryn and Vinny further at their website, Balanced Bodies. Just reading their bios, you can tell that these are two super-interesting people who are passionate about what they do.
By using this site and interacting in the Comments, you agree to abide by my Disclaimer. Please keep your comments respectful and refrain from ad hominem attacks. In the past, I’ve been permissive — no longer. The social and political discourse in our country has become so toxic that I cannot, in good conscience, allow my blog to provide a space for those who simply want to express outrage. If you disagree with something I’ve written or said on the podcast, or something written by a fellow reader, fabulous. Make your argument in as dispassionate a way as you can, and we’ll all get along just fine.